Butterflies : ) {June 2011}

This was such a cool project!

I posted a while ago pics of Unsa Aba with Reagan the night he brought them over.  She was so excited about baby butterflies, and was pretty patient with them.  This was Alden's idea he ordered from Insect Lore along with the baby lady bugs. 
I didn't get to actually see them form the cocoon's, they did that while we were asleep, but we got to see them emerge from them as beautiful butterflies about 2 weeks later.  I was checking them on the kitchen counter one day while I made breakfast, and not one minute later I heard fluttering.  So of course I grab the camera, and we watch like hawks (haha) waiting in the next four to do something.  I turned away for a few more minutes after waiting forever, and missed another one.  They're fast! 
SOOO cool : )   

Sorry for so many shots of them, but they were so pretty!  I couldn't help it!















Reagan LOVED setting them free outside. (which was *only* after I got all the pictures I wanted) We told her they were going to find their friends and she was thrilled.





This is what the cocoons looked like the morning they were 'born.'




Here's the newborn!!!
This was about five seconds after he emerged, and you could watch his wings grow and expand right there before you.  He held real still for about 10 minutes wabbling like a drunk man.  So awesome! 












We kept the habitats and will be ordering more caterpillars and baby ladybugs soon.  I would definitely recommend getting them for any little kid.
: )
Photobucket

Post a Comment

Visitors

ds1
ds1

Blog Archive

-

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP